Tips for a Good Doctor’s Visit
- Research your child’s condition or symptoms before you go in. Ask lots of questions.
- Write out all of your questions before you go. If possible, email them to the doctor ahead of time.
- Do not leave the visit until all of your questions have been answered in a way that makes sense to you.
- Bring a friend or family member to take notes and help with your child, or ask the doctor if you can record the visit.
- Ask for the same doctor every time.
- Bring your care notebook to every visit and update it with new information. Learn more about Personal Health Records.
- Try to schedule your visit at a good time for your child.
- Ask for extra time before you go to the visit.
- Bring snacks, toys, books, or games to keep your child occupied in the waiting and exam rooms.
- Try to act out the doctor’s visit with your child before you go.
- Ask your doctor’s office to prepare a special waiting room or quiet area if your child needs it.
- Treat your child’s doctor with the same respect you want for your child.
- Do not leave the visit without knowing what the next step is.
- Find out the best way to get in touch with your child’s doctor between visits.
Download more information here:
My Health My Life Toolkit Download